Designed and hand-crafted in the small town of Petaluma, California, Kala USA ukuleles are built with hand-picked wood and quality structural pieces.
Less expensive ukuleles from Kala’s Waterman and Makala lines are durable and great for beginners, meaning this company offers a little something for everyone.
Best Rated Kala Ukuleles Reviewed
Kala KA-15S Mahogany Soprano Ukulele
A very affordable, beginner friendly instrument, the Kala KA-15S mahogany soprano ukulele features a smooth, satin finish, plus a contrasting rosewood fingerboard and bridge. It features geared tuners and arrives pre-strung with Aquila nylgut strings. The sound is clear and pleasant.
- This is a lovely instrument with a classic appearance, plus a satin finish that feels amazing in your hands
- 12 brass frets with fret position marks at the 5th, 7th, and 10th frets contribute to a positive playing experience
- Contrasting geometric design around the sound-hole is a nice finishing touch
- Geared tuners help prevent strings from slipping out of tune
- This ukulele comes with a protective gig bag, adding even more value to an already affordable instrument
Kala KA-CEM Exotic Mahogany Series Concert Ukulele – Blue
The Kala KA-CEM Exotic Mahogany Series concert ukulele offers a full, rich sound. Its figured mahogany body features a lovely wave pattern in the wood, and a gorgeous blue finish that just
might remind you of the ocean. Silver nickel frets and die-cast chrome tuners provide pleasing contrast. If you’re looking for a little step up from a basic ukulele or love the idea of playing a beautiful blue instrument, then this is one that you’ll want to consider.
- This is a very pretty ukulele with a unique appearance – the exotic mahogany wood and the blue color go beautifully together
- The ukulele’s sound is just as beautiful as the instrument’s looks; it’s full, rich, and sweet
- Overall, this is a fantastic ukulele for the price – it’s affordable enough for a beginner, and also suitable as an instrument for more experienced players
- Aquila Nylgut strings and quality tuning machines make for pleasant, trouble-free playing
- Stays in tune well, even after hours of playing
Kala KA-SLNG Mahogany Soprano Long Neck Ukulele
Offering a lovely soprano voice and a beautiful, full-bodied tone, the Kala KA-SLNG Mahogany Soprano long neck ukulele is very comfortable to play, and it’s beautiful to look at, too. A gloss finish puts the wood’s grain on display and a white binding provides a traditional appearance. Die-cast tuners add just a little extra touch of class. If you want to play the ukulele but find that a traditional soprano feels too cramped, this one offers the perfect solution!
- The long neck makes for a far more comfortable playing experience for larger-statured players
- Very pretty appearance, from the gloss finish that shows off the wood grain to the traditional white body binding
- Excellent action and playability right out of the box
- The sound, sustain, and tone are on point – the instrument offers classic soprano ukulele cheerfulness despite the longer neck
- While affordably priced for beginners, this ukulele is also suitable for more advanced players
Kala KA-CGE Gloss Mahogany Concert Ukulele with Electronics
A gorgeous ukulele with a sweet, seductive sound, the Kala-KA CGE Gloss mahogany concert ukulele is a step up from a traditional acoustic instrument. Its built-in tuner is a great touch and it is acoustic-electric, so you can play unplugged if you want to. The finish is beautiful, and the white body binding provides a nice traditional look.
- This ukulele includes fantastic onboard electronics including a high-quality tuner and Active Shadow NANO-FLEX EQ System
- The rosewood fingerboard and bridge offer a lovely look and feel
- This ukulele arrives with Aquila strings already in place, so there’s no need to upgrade unless you prefer another premium brand
- Beautiful sound when played either as an acoustic or electric ukulele
- Excellent, affordable choice for a beginner who wants to expand his or her skills
Kala KA-ASAC-T8 Solid Acacia Tenor 8-String Ukulele
If you’re ready to take the leap from a beginners’ ukulele to a fine, stage-worthy instrument, then you may want to take a look at the Kala KA-ASAC-T8. This beautiful tenor ukulele features a solid acacia body, plus 8 strings for greater finesse. A rosewood binding with herringbone purfling provides lovely contrast, as does the rosewood fingerboard and bridge. The sound is absolutely gorgeous – so much so, that you won’t want to put this instrument down.
- The solid acacia wood produces a rich, complex sound – it’s irresistible, and sure to make you feel like playing more often
- Arrives pre-strung with Aquila strings – and the eight strings lend complexity and richness, encouraging users to try different playing styles and expand their repertoires
- Exceptional sustain – the notes hang in the air longer than those played on a standard uke
- Larger size is ideal for larger-statured players
Also Read: 10 Best Tenor Ukuleles
Kala KA-SMHCE-C Solid Mahogany Concert Cutaway Acoustic-Electric Ukulele
A very popular ukulele that’s sometimes out of stock, the Kala KA-SMHCE-C concert ukulele features a lovely cutaway shape and a beautiful, solid mahogany body. The faux tortoise-shell binding features black and white purfling, and together with the rosewood fingerboard and bridge, this creates a look that’s wonderfully attractive. The instrument’s sound is just as beautiful as its exterior, and the onboard electronics let you take to the stage with confidence.
- This is a stunning instrument in terms of appearance – the many details make it lovely to look at
- Solid mahogany wood imparts enormous resonance and a wonderful, rich sound that improves over time
- Onboard electronics add to the ukulele’s overall value; a built-in tuner and a Kala UK-300T preamp with EQ let you play plugged or unplugged
- Cutaway body design for greater range
- Arrives with Aquila strings already in place for enjoyable playing straight out of the box
Also Read: Best Electric Ukuleles
Kala KA-KSLNG Hawaiian Koa Long Neck Soprano Ukulele
If you like the traditional sound of a soprano ukulele but need more room to play, then you’ll want to take a look at the Kala KA-KSLNG long neck soprano ukulele. This exquisite instrument sounds just fantastic, with a cheerful, bright tone. The Hawaiian Koa wood top, back, and sides lend a classic appearance, and the mahogany neck and rosewood fingerboard come together with the maple binding to provide a bit of contrast. Fun to play and lovely to look at, this koa ukulele gets top marks.
- Not only do the gold Grover open-gear tuners add beauty to the overall look of the ukulele, they feel smooth and help the instrument stay in tune
- Low action offers outstanding playability
- This ukulele arrives pre-strung with D’adario titanium strings – a definite step up from the usual stock strings that come with most ukuleles
- The instrument offers a traditional sound while the long neck makes it easy for larger individuals to play
Also Read: Top 10 Best Soprano Ukuleles
Kala Elite USA 1KOA-T Tenor Ukulele
A masterpiece! The Kala Elite USA 1KOA-T tenor ukulele features a solid Hawaiian Koa top, back, and sides, with a lovely satin finish that puts the wood’s grain on display. The sound is full, rich, and enjoyable, as you’d expect from a true koa wood ukulele. A Honduran mahogany neck, an Indian rosewood fingerboard, and Kala open-gear tuners with chrome buttons provide contrast.
- Solid koa wood imparts an incredible sound – music is rich, full, and wonderfully resonant
- Excellent sustain, plus exquisite clarity with every note that’s played
- Open gear vintage tuners and oval pearl fret markers add to the high-quality look and feel of this instrument
- This ukulele comes with Kala fluorocarbon strings, so there’s no need to upgrade unless you prefer a different brand
- A protective hardshell case is included, along with a humidifier
Also Read: 10 Best Tenor Ukuleles
Kala KA-SMHT Solid Mahogany Tenor Ukulele
Surprisingly affordable, the Kala KA-SMHT solid mahogany tenor ukulele offers a rich, mellow sound. Its natural mahogany body features a simple, satin finish and faux tortoiseshell trim with contrasting black and white purfling. A mahogany neck, rosewood fingerboard, and simulated bone nut and saddle keep the look traditional.
- Besides offering an attractive appearance, this ukulele arrives set up and ready to play after an initial tuning
- Chrome die-cast tuners offer a step up from the plastic tuners often seen in ukuleles at this price range
- Premium Aquila Nylgut strings are in place on the instrument’s arrival
- The sound is rich, full, and pleasant with plenty of projection
Kala Elite USA 1KOA Concert Ukulele
The Kala Elite USA 1KOA concert ukulele features a beautiful top of solid Hawaiian koa, plus solid Hawaiian koa back and sides. Mother-of-pearl inlays adorn the fretboard and headstock. A satin finish provides protection while giving this lovely instrument a soft, appealing gleam. The sound is rich and mellow, making for a fantastic playing and listening experience.
- Solid koa wood provides a beautiful, rich, resonant sound as well as an attractive, classic appearance
- Kala open-gear tuners with chrome buttons add to the instrument’s visual appeal as well as its playability
- This ukulele arrives pre-strung with Kala fluorocarbon strings, so there is no need to upgrade
- A protective hardshell case and a Humilele humidifier are included, adding value
- An excellent step up for any serious ukulele player
What Makes Kala Ukuleles So Great
Kala offers a fantastic range of instruments, from very inexpensive ones that are perfect for the beginner or taking along to the beach, to exquisitely crafted, solid hardwood ukuleles made with experts in mind. Whether you’re looking for a simple, sweet-sounding soprano ukulele or an acoustic-electric model, you’ll probably find a kala ukulele that suits your needs.
- A variety of models in popular finishes and colors
- Acoustic-electric models are available
- Excellent materials
- High-quality craftsmanship
- Some Kala ukuleles come with protective cases and humidifiers
- Kala ukuleles are often pre-strung with high-quality strings
- Excellent sound, with clean, clear, tonnes
Kala ukuleles range in price from very inexpensive laminate models to far pricier Kala USA models crafted of the finest materials. If you’re brand new to the ukulele and want an affordable instrument that you’ll enjoy playing for a while before moving up to a better, solid-wood one, then you will probably like what Kala has to offer.
If you’ve been playing for a while and are ready to step into a better ukulele, there are several nice models to consider. Whether your budget is less than $100 or more than $1,000, Kala has a ukulele that’s just right for you.
If you’re new to the ukulele and want to enjoy playing for friends, family members, or even a live audience at your local coffee house or brew pub, you’ll appreciate this list of resources. Choosing a Kala ukulele means you’ll soon own a beautiful, traditional instrument that’s worth showing off – so learn how to play a few hits that people will love singing along to.
- Books and DVDs – Both are great resources for learning to play, with helpful hints and songs that include lyrics.
- YouTube – YouTube is an excellent source of information, with online tips and hints, plus plenty of songs to play along with.
- Lessons – In person or online, ukulele lessons help you learn correct positioning, plus they give you access to a seasoned player who has been through all the challenges that newer players tend to face.
- Ukulele websites – Believe it or not, there are tons of websites dedicated to the fine art of ukulele playing! Here are just a few to get you started.
- Ukulele Tricks – Great for beginners, with free lessons and more
- Ukulele Buddy – Have fun, and “wow” your friends, even if you have no musical experience
- Learning Ukulele – Chords, tabs, songs, and so much more! Start out with a free lesson or two.